Mountain Bike Instructors Award Scheme
This weekend course takes place in the Sheffield/Hathersage area.
It will cover:
- Personal & group equipment
- Cycle maintenance
- Trail maintenance
- Coaching skills
- Risk assessment & management
- Recording systems and procedural paperwork
- Group & trail management
- Emergency procedures
At the end of the weekend candidates will receive a personal course debrief and hopefully certification to show they are now newly qualified to MIAS level 1 or 2.
Book below, or alternatively feel free to give me a call on: 07941 212719
- Everyone must have a safe working bicycle suitable for the terrain, a helmet, and clothing suitable for the weather.
- Please note there will be a lunch break but lunch is NOT provided.
- Payment can be made by bacs, cash, PayPal or Credit/debit card with secure online payment
- A deposit of £50 can hold your place but is non refundable. Balance to be paid 14 days prior to the course.
- The course requires a minimum of 4 people to run, if insufficient bookings then there will either be a rebooking made for another date or a refund made.
- Payment of the deposit is an agreement to these terms
For instructors who will lead groups off road on way marked tracks below 600 meters, and within close proximity of immediate aid. Typically these might be: way marked cycle tracks, canal tow paths, and forestry tracks. These would involve skills such as: climbs, descents, pedal kicks, short track stand and wheel lifts.
Requirements: Previous mountain bike experience.
Instructors who wish to lead groups into moorland, upland or mountainous terrain up to 600 meters and within 30 minutes walk of habitation. Technically a little more demanding and will employ climbing and descents over loose surfaces, single track, log hops, jumps, small drop offs, deep mud and water crossing.
Benefits and History
MIAS level 2 instructor is awarded a QCF level 2. This is equivalent to a GCSE.
MIAS level 3 instructor is awarded a QCF level 3. This is equivalent to an A level.
The MIAS award is also operated under the European Qualifications Framework and is equivalent to a level 4 in this award, which means it is recognised in France as a leaders award for mountain biking. This can be of use if considering work in the Alps.
MIAS also realise that you may come with a lifetime of experience in outdoor education and mountain biking, therefore training you may have undertaken with other recognised award providers is recognised.
This may mean we can fast track some training once prior qualifications have been evaluated.
There is no current UK wide National Governing Body, although some other organisations may state so. However, the MIAS award has existed for longer than any other mountain bike award, and is recognised by the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority (AALA/S)
This award has been used by guides and members of the armed services, the police, mountain guides, schools and youth groups in: Chile, France, Spain, Singapore, New Zealand, Crete, Morocco, Canada and Italy, making it a very credible award for leading and guiding abroad.
MIAS level 1 and 2 October 21st / 22nd 2023£235.00
Gift Card£10.00 – £100.00
MIAS level 3 May 21 2023£165.00
MIAS level 1 and 2 May 27th and 28th 2023£235.00
MIAS level 1 and 2 June 24th and 25th 2023£235.00
MIAS level 1 and 2 July 29th and 30th 2023£235.00
MIAS level 1 and 2 September 23 and 24th 2023£235.00